Introducing Intelligent Octopus
With increasing energy prices, we’re working hard to find new energy products that save customers money on their monthly bills. Intelligent Octopus is our first-ever integrated demand response, fixed-rate plan that rewards customers with a specialized rate for helping to balance the grid when demand for energy is high. By enrolling in Intelligent Octopus, you are able to benefit from the power of demand response, which reduces energy usage during peak demand to avoid system failures. Specifically, Intelligent Octopus allows you to automate energy usage and save money when prioritizing energy efficiency and grid resilience.
You can connect their smart thermostats to Octopus Energy’s system that monitors grid activity. When demand on the grid increases, Octopus Energy adjusts your thermostat for 5- to 15-minute increments to decrease energy usage, after which your thermostat is adjusted back to its original setting. This helps to decrease demand on the grid when it nears its peak and rewards you for helping to balance the grid through a discounted energy product.
We power Intelligent Octopus through our proprietary Kraken technology that uses advanced data and machine learning to automate a majority of the energy supply chain. This capability allows you to access power when it is cheaper and greener, while helping to balance the overall stability of the grid. Intelligent Octopus will also expand to additional smart home devices and providers in the months to come; while in beta, Intelligent Octopus is compatible with ecobee smart thermostats only.
Want to sign up for Intelligent Octopus?
- You must be an Octopus Energy customer to join Intelligent Octopus. If you’re not a customer yet, sign up today.
- Have a compatible smart thermostat
While we’re in beta, we can only connect to ecobee smart thermostats. Look out for future integrations!
- Read and accept our terms and conditions.
Because we’re in beta, some things may not work the first time around. The terms and conditions explain what customers can expect from this product.
Connecting your smart thermostat
Once you’ve signed up, you can connect your thermostat from either your desktop account or the Octopus Energy app.
From your account:
- Click the button that says “Connect your device”
- Log in to your ecobee account
- Authenticate Intelligent OctopusYou’re now connected!
From the app:
- If you haven’t already, download the Octopus Energy app from the App Store or Google Play, and log in to your account.
- Tap “Devices” at the bottom of your screen
- Tap on “Add device”
- Log in to your ecobee account and authenticate Intelligent Octopus
You are now connected!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How does Intelligent Octopus affect my thermostat settings?
- We pause your thermostat when electricity is expensive for intervals of approximately 5-15 minutes.
- While paused, we monitor your indoor temperature.
- We make sure that your indoor temperature only goes up about 3 degrees — we will unpause your thermostat if it gets that high.
- We understand that this might be confusing and are working on adjusting the temperature of your thermostat rather than pausing it, stay tuned!
What times are considered peak and off peak?
Peak demand occurs during the busiest times, from 1PM to 7PM. Partial peak hours are from 10AM to 1PM and again between 7 and 9PM. All other times are considered off peak.
Can I opt out when Intelligent Octopus interferes with my thermostat settings?
Yes! If you want to override our settings, just turn your thermostat back on.
Can Intelligent Octopus connect to other smart home devices?
At the moment, Intelligent Octopus only connects with ecobee smart thermostats. We are looking into future integrations. If you have any questions or ideas, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!